As winter approaches, it’s crucial to ensure that your heating system is in top-notch condition. One of the most common heating systems in many rural homes is the oil boiler. Regular servicing and maintenance of your oil boiler can help prevent unexpected breakdowns, improve efficiency, and extend its lifespan.
But one question that often arises is, “how much does it cost for an oil boiler service?” This blog post aims to provide a comprehensive answer to this question and help you find reliable oil boiler service engineers in your area.
The Importance of a Regular Oil Boiler Service
A regular oil boiler service is essential for several reasons. First, it ensures that your boiler operates at peak efficiency, which can save you money on heating oil costs. Second, it helps identify potential issues early before they escalate into costly repairs or replacements.
Lastly, a regular oil boiler service can extend the life of your oil boiler and ensure that it provides consistent heat throughout the cold season.
The Cost of an Oil Boiler Service
The cost of an oil boiler service varies widely depending on several factors such as the age and model of your boiler, its current condition, and where you live. On average, you can expect to pay between £100 to £150 for a standard service visit from a professional oil boiler service engineer.
For a standard oil boiler service, we charge our customers £100 plus vat.
However, if your oil boiler requires more than just routine maintenance – say it needs parts replaced or has significant issues – the cost could rise significantly. For instance, replacing a faulty pump could cost around £300-£400 while a new burner might set you back anywhere between £300-£500.
Remember that these are just estimates; actual costs may vary based on specific circumstances surrounding each repair or replacement job.
What’s Included In An Oil Boiler Service?
Unlike gas boilers, an oil boiler service involves a lot of actual cleaning and regular renewal of perishable parts. If this is neglected, it can and probably will lead to future breakdowns that could hit your pocket.
An oil boiler works properly and efficiency when it burns the oil cleanly. If it doesn’t burn cleanly soot will quickly build up inside the boiler which could lead to bigger issues. Here is what should be completed when conducting an oil boiler service:
- Check combustion chamber rope seal
- Remove the burner and clean
- Clean the baffles
- Clean the heat exchanger
- Clean the turbulators
- Replace the oil nozzle
- Clean the electrodes
- Clean condensate trap
- Test the fire valve is working correctly
- Clean the oil filter
- Carry out a visual inspection of the oil tank and supply line
- Check combustion levels after cleaning
As you can see from the list of checks required to complete an oil boiler service, it is quite comprehensive. An oil boiler service should take between 1 to 1.5 hours. Oil boilers can and will soot up if not set correctly.
It is imperative that the engineer onsite sets the burner up according to manufacturers instructions to ensure the boiler operated efficiently. This will not only allow the boiler to burn cleaner but save you money as it will be burning efficiently.
A bonus tip: Please do NOT allow your oil tank to drop too low as if this happens, it could suck dirt or debris at the bottom of the tank into the boiler which could have a costly effect.
If you run out of oil don’t panic! Have it filled up then call your local oil boiler service engineer and he will prime the oil through to the burner.
The picture below shows what happens to a poorly maintained oil boiler. The baffles soot up badly and could be a challenge to remove the substance.
Finding A Reliable Oil Boiler Service Engineer Locally
When looking for a local oil boiler service engineer there are several factors to consider ensuring you get quality service at a fair price:
1. Experience: Look for a company with extensive experience in oil boiler service and repairs. They should be familiar with different boiler models and brands, and the common issues they may encounter.
2. Licensing and Insurance: Ensure that the service provider is licensed to operate in your area and carries adequate insurance coverage. This protects you from liability in case of accidents during the servicing process.
3. Reviews and Recommendations: Check online reviews or ask for recommendations from friends or family who have had their oil boilers serviced recently. This can give you a good idea of the quality of service to expect.
4. Pricing: While it’s essential to consider cost, don’t let it be the sole determining factor. Sometimes, going for the cheapest option can end up costing more in the long run if the work is not done correctly.
5: Check oil boiler manufacturers website as they might have a list of local reputable oil boiler service engineers that they work with. For example, Navien is an oil boiler manufacturer that works closely with professional oil boiler service agents.
Preventive Measures to Reduce Servicing Costs
While a regular oil boiler service is necessary, there are preventive measures you can take to reduce the frequency of repairs and, consequently, servicing costs:
1. Regular Cleaning: Dust and soot accumulation can affect your boiler’s efficiency. Regular cleaning helps maintain optimal performance.
2. Timely Repairs: If you notice any issues with your boiler, such as strange noises or reduced heat output, seek professional help immediately before the problem worsens.
3. Annual Inspections: Have a professional inspect your boiler at least once a year to identify potential problems early.
The cost of an oil boiler service varies depending on several factors but investing in regular maintenance can save you money in the long run by preventing costly repairs or replacements.
When searching for an oil boiler service engineer in you area consider factors such as experience, licensing, insurance coverage, reviews, and pricing to ensure you get quality service at a fair price.
Remember that while regular servicing is crucial, taking preventive measures like regular cleaning and timely repairs can also help maintain your oil boiler’s efficiency while reducing servicing cost.
We hope that you got some value from this blog post and understand how important it is to have you oil boiler serviced annually. If you are located in Fife, we would love to hear from you to be able to service your oil b.oiler. feel free to share with friends or family on your social media feed.